Career Advising Appointment Policies
Thank you for booking an appointment with your career advisor! Here, we will outline our policies for our appointment cancellations, late arrivals, and no-shows. Our intention is that all of our students will act professionally by showing up to their scheduled appointments on time or cancelling with enough notice to allow another student to fill their appointment slot. When a student fails to show up for their scheduled career advising appointment, they have not only lost an opportunity for professional development for themselves, but it also negatively impacts their fellow students’ access to the O’Brien Center for Career Development.
We understand that students’ lives are hectic and your schedule may change unexpectedly. However, except in the case of a sudden illness or emergency, when you schedule a career advising appointment we expect you to attend. Please carefully review the O’Brien Center for Career Development’s cancellation, late arrival and no-show policies for career advising appointments below. This policy will outline clear expectations surrounding your career advising appointments. Thank you for your cooperation.
When requesting a career advising appointment, be sure to check your schedule to avoid multiple late arrivals, cancellations, or no-shows. Your appointment may be scheduled out a week or two (or more) in advance – please keep this in mind and mark it on your calendar. When your appointment has been approved, you will receive an email with an option to add the appointment to your Google Calendar, which we highly recommend. Please review our appointment cancellation, late arrival, and no-show policies below. These policies apply to all career advising appointments. If you are sick, we appreciate you staying home until you are feeling better – but please contact your career advisor as soon as you know you will be unable to attend your scheduled appointment.
In the event that you are unable to make your career advising appointment, we ask that you cancel within 36 hours of your original appointment time. This will open up your appointment time to another student. To cancel your appointment, you can log into your Handshake account, click Career Center, then Appointments. Click on your appointment time, and click Cancel Appointment. You may also call or email your career advisor to cancel your appointment. Or, you can always stop by our front desk, call 978-837-5480, or email email@example.com. If you do not cancel your appointment within 36 hours, you will be marked as a no-show. See below for no-show policy.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late to an appointment, you may be required to reschedule and your appointment may be marked as a no-show in your Handshake account.
- If you arrive late for 3 or more appointments, you must meet with your career advisor during walk-in hours before you are able to book another 1:1 appointment.
If you do not show up to your appointment time, cancel with less than 36 hours notice, or arrive more than 15 minutes late, you will be marked as a “No-Show” in your Handshake account. No-Shows will be reset/cleared at the start of each academic year and will not carry over from year to year.
- First No-Show: If you do not show up to your scheduled appointment time without notifying your career advisor, your career advisor will mark you as a no-show in your Handshake account. You will receive an email from your career advisor letting you know, along with a notice of these appointment policies. You will have the option of rescheduling your appointment.
- Second No-Show: If you do not show up to two scheduled appointments in the same academic year, you will be marked as a no-show in your Handshake account and you must first meet with your career advisor during walk-in hours before you can book another 1:1 appointment. You will receive an email from your career advisor with this information, along with a notice of these appointment policies.
- Third No-Show: If you do not show up to three scheduled appointments in the same academic year, you will be marked as a no-show in your Handshake account and you will now have limited access to Handshake. You must first meet with your career advisor during walk-in hours to have a discussion before you can have full access to Handshake turned back on or schedule another 1:1 career advising appointment.