A little bit about us….The Y, a nationally recognized non-profit, and a leader among local non-profits, is much more than a fitness facility. Through our programming, the Y nurtures the potential of children by strengthening character in our youth, engaging families, and building lasting relationships. Youth learn new skills, make new friends, develop essential character traits, and set individual and team goals. Our programs improve self-confidence, promote diversity and build skills.
About the Internship…. As a multi-site $25 million dollar company across two states, the YMCA of the North Shore offers valuable opportunities to learn basic fundamentals about finance and accounting skills for a large not-for-profit organization with corporate practices that will be utilized throughout your career.
On A Regular Day…You will help with day-to-day accounting operations such as journal entries, account reconciliations, cash receipts and deposits, and payable invoice entries. In addition you will learn about contributions and grants, investments and fixed assets within the YMCA financial processes, and prepare and analyze reports. Throughout your experience at the Y you will develop professional communication skills, improve time management and task prioritization skills, develop introductory-level skills in enterprise accounting systems and gain exposure to a variety of accounting processes including month-end close processes, accounts payable/receivable, reporting and analysis, Excel, and accounting software.
This may be a great experience for you if you like … learning new functions on Excel, creating, building, replicating, and using Excel spreadsheets to communicate detailed information, you enjoy reviewing reports or accounts and find satisfaction in uncovering variances or trends and determining if there is a solution,
In your future you may become … a finance professional, such as a Certified Public Accountant, Accounting Manager, a Purchaser, a Controller, someday even a Chief Financial Officer. You could follow an alternative path and become an Auditor at an Accounting firm or work toward a Manager or Partner position.
- A minimum of 14-16 weeks, one semester or based on school curriculum criteria and availability
- 20 hours per week or contingent upon internship criteria
- Location – Beverly, Cummings Center
- This internship is paid – $13.50 per hour.
- A Free YMCA membership for the duration of the internship and discounts on YNS programs and activities.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled and will be posted the semester prior to placement.
Questions regarding internships can be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-564-3463.
- Undergraduate or Graduate student currently enrolled in College or University seeking a degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field of study.
- Experience using excel spreadsheets and the ability to learn and apply new functions quickly.
- All interns must complete and submit an application to be considered for a position with YNS.
- Interns must work with a hiring managers to submit and complete internship learning agreement submitted to the Director of Operations or Executive Director and HR Office.
- Interns may only participate in one internship paid or unpaid within the YNS organization at a time. Requests for consecutive internships will be reviewed by the intern managers.
The YMCA is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, protected genetic information, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran’s status.