Intern Role: Assist with delivering a physical fitness program designed to improve the quality of life of survivors of acquired brain injury (ABI).
Location: SLI Neuro-Wellness Center, 7 Oakland St., Lexington, MA (accessible via public transit)
Programs: 9/13/21-12/10/21| 12:30-5:15pm (days and times determined by student availability aligning with our class schedule)
Job Description: Under the direction of the Neuro-Wellness program manager, an intern at the SLI Neuro-Wellness Center will actively participate in administering an intensive physical fitness program for survivors of ABI. Interns will be hands-on, working with participants of the program, demonstrating, and administering exercises from their routines. Interns will also complete periodic projects relating to brain injury and exercise programming.
Commitment: Interns will complete up to 150 hours for the Monday-Wednesday-Friday internship and 120 hours for the Tuesday-Thursday internship. Please note these are both unpaid positions. A full-time (30+ hour/4 days per week), unpaid internship is also available, if required for school.
1. Students should be in a related health field of study which include, but not limited to: exercise physiology, exercise science, kinesiology, physical therapy, occupational therapy, health studies, neuroscience, psychology, etc.
2. Comfortable in an exercise/gym setting; prior experience in a fitness setting or experience as a student athlete is preferred.
3. Undergraduate or graduate students looking to gain a basic understanding of, and comfort working with individuals living with and recovering from brain injury
4. Able to work both independently and as part of a team while effectively following the training guidelines established by the Neuro-Wellness Manager.
5. Able to assist in monitoring participant outcomes by recording health data that will be applied to improving the Wellness Center’s brain injury rehabilitation program
6. Are motivated, dedicated individuals who can empathize with and advocate for individuals with disabilities.
To learn more about Supportive Living, Inc. and this internship, please view a short video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os1MEbF9PlQ&feature=youtu.be
For additional information regarding this internship please contact Lindsay Weir, Neuro-Wellness Program Manager and Internship Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.