Summer Internships: Court Service Centers, Massachusetts Trial Court
Opportunities are available at all our Court Service Center locations: Boston, Brockton, Lawrence, Lowell, Greenfield, Springfield and Worcester.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is dynamic, self-starting and interested in learning about access to justice issues in the court system. You will be part of a program called the Court Service Center that seeks to provide comprehensive legal assistance and access to resources for self-represented litigants (litigants without attorneys) at multi-department courthouses throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This is a unique opportunity to be involved in a program that is changing the way that the court system interacts with self-represented litigants.
You will learn about:
- Common legal issues faced by self-represented litigants
- Major court departments and their jurisdictions
- Access to justice issues
- Social service resources
- Interviewing and triage skills
Duties may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Greeting litigants and explaining available services
- Referring litigants to other departments or offices
- Interviewing litigants about their needs
- Assisting litigants with legal paperwork
- Researching area resources
- Drafting court documents
- Developing plain-language self-help information for litigants
- Committed to working scheduled hours
- Reliable and attentive to detail, able to multi-task
- Able to both work independently and take direction
- Experience or interest in customer service
- Experience or interest in communicating with people of diverse backgrounds
- Able to remain calm under pressure
- Committed to learning and retaining information about legal processes, the court system, and available resources.
- Oral fluency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Vietnamese, or other languages.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter addressing the following questions to Jorge Colon at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- What interests you about working at a Court Service Center?
- What experience (paid, volunteer or extracurricular) have you had that might prepare you for this position?
- Which location would you like to volunteer at?
- What is your availability? (e.g., Tuesday & Wednesday all day)
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED AS RECEIVED UNTIL POSITIONS ARE FILLED.
For more information about Court Service Centers, visit https://www.mass.gov/info-details/learn-about-court-service-centers. This is an unpaid position. All volunteers must complete a CORI check and be eligible to work in the United States.