Gain Valuable Skills & Earn Benefits while Making a Difference, with the Commonwealth Corps Service Internship Program!
The mission of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages, backgrounds, and identities in direct service to strengthen communities, address critical needs, and increase volunteerism. Through hands-on experience, Commonwealth Corps members gain professional skills and valuable knowledge while positively impacting diverse communities in our state.
Commonwealth Corps members serve in a full-time or half-time position at one of our host site partners in the areas of Economic Opportunity, Education, Health and Nutrition, or Youth Development. Joining Commonwealth Corps means becoming part of a diverse group of people across Massachusetts who share a common desire to discover their passion and build their network in the service to their communities and the Commonwealth.
The Massachusetts Service Alliance oversees the program and supports the host site partner agencies and members, while each host site partner manages its own member recruitment and selection. Applications are now open and specific postings for each position/host site are available on our website. Below is a list of general responsibilities, qualifications, and benefits that are common across all host sites.
As a Commonwealth Corps Member, you will:
· Complete a minimum of 1,500 (full-time) or 750 (half-time) hours of service from August 22, 2022 through June 24, 2023.
· Attend all required Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA and your host site, including a new member orientation.
· Participate in MSA-related activities each week. This may include filling out timesheets, completing a bi-monthly reflection or check-in, or other MSA-related tasks or activities.
· Complete the host-site-specific responsibilities detailed in their individual position description.
To serve as a Commonwealth Corps Member, you must be:
· A Massachusetts Resident (see guidelines here) with legal authorization to work in the United States
· 18 years of age or older (member age range is 18 – 70+ years old)
· Excited to give back to your community and interested in developing your skills and gaining new professional experiences
· Able to balance service internship commitments with personal commitments in a sustainable way
· Able to meet host site-specific qualifications detailed in their individual position description
As a Commonwealth Corps Member, you will receive:
· Stipend of $1,10 (full-time) or $550 (half-time) semi-monthly while in service, up to $23,100 (full-time) or $11,550 (half-time), minus taxes and withholdings;
· Health insurance (full-time members only, no monthly contribution, individual coverage only);
· Member assistance program, including unlimited, confidential, 24/7, phone counseling services and up to three free, in-person counseling sessions, plus a lot more;
· Completion award of up to $4,000 (full-time) or $2,000 (half-time) upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings (may increase prior to the start of the service term);
· Training and other professional development opportunities, including training stipend up to $100;
· Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities;
· Limited travel reimbursement from their host site for certain service-related travel away from your usual service location, according to that agency’s policies;
·. Mental Health/Personal Day once per month counting towards 8hrs (full-time) or 4hrs (half-time)
· The opportunity for at least 10 (full-time) or 5 (half-time) days of planned absences (may include holidays);
· Opportunity to join with others with a common sense of purpose as part of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program; and
· Any other benefits specified by the host site.
Please note that receipt of these stipends/benefits may impact an individual’s eligibility for certain public benefits.
Term of Service:
· Position Start Date: August 22, 2022
· Position End Date: June 24, 2023
· Service commitment will average 38-40 hours per week (full-time) or 18-20 hours per week (half-time), with details and schedules varying by site.
To Apply: Interested applicants will need to apply directly to the host site(s) of interest, for the particular position(s) of interest, by following the application instructions on the position description(s) on our website.
Questions: Contact CC Program Manager, Stacey Sirois, firstname.lastname@example.org or 351-218-9887.
Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal history check.
Host site partners will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. Host site partners welcome applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and service upon request. We invite you to read about our commitment to equity and diversity here.