Job Title: Intern – Sustainability (LEED for Cities)
Reports to: Community and Economic Development Director
Department: Office of Community and Economic Development
The Sustainability Intern works under the supervision of the Community and Economic Development Director and will primarily assist with gathering data, submitting information and conducting outreach associated with the City of Amesbury’s application for LEED for Cities designation from the US Green Building Council (USGBC). The intern may additionally work on other projects as defined by the Community and Economic Development Director, including updating the attending municipal meetings, developing outreach materials and participating in sustainability program events. The intern will gain valuable experience in local government and sustainability work.
The internship is a part-time, paid, temporary position with an anticipated start date in early September 2022. The position hours and duration will be flexible to accommodate the right candidate and current students with relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist with gathering data required for LEED for Cities submission from city departments and external partners.
· Organize data collected and prepare for submission to USGBC.
· Participate in LEED for Cities Leadership Program training and peer learning opportunities
· Participate in City of Amesbury Sustainability Task Force meetings.
· Conduct outreach, including developing social media and presentation templates, to raise awareness of the City’s LEED for Cities Certification.
· Assist with gathering data to update the city’s greenhouse gas emissions inventory.
· Provide support to and attend city sustainability events as necessary.
- Perform related duties, special projects and responsibilities as required by the Community and Economic Development Director.
· High school diploma or GED equivalent.
· Current undergraduate student or recent graduate.
· Knowledge of environmental and social sustainability topics.
· Completion of undergraduate level environmental studies, political science, engineering or similar classes a plus.
· Competency using Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Word.
· Strong knowledge of English language, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
· Experience using social media and other methods to disseminate information.
· Experience analyzing data and writing reports.
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and organize data.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong communication skills and experience working with diverse groups.
- Ability to think critically and find creative solutions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Stipend of up to $5,000
- Learn about local government sustainability.
- Network within the community and with other LEED for Cities communities.
- Gain experience working with the USGBC LEED for Cities framework.
- Flexible work schedule and possible extension of position into Fall 2022 and Spring 2023.
- Contribute to City of Amesbury sustainability and support designation under globally recognized LEED for Cities program.