American Red Cross Blood Services
Position Description - Communications Intern/Volunteer
Applicants will have to apply through the Red Cross Volunteer system called Volunteer Connection: HANDSHAKE NETWORK APPLICANT LINK
Purpose: To increase the visibility of the American Red Cross mission and biomedical program awareness by supporting the communications department of the local Red Cross with various communications, public relations and writing needs.
• Research and develop stories that reflect Red Cross blood services impact on recipients, donors and the community.
• Interact with blood donors and recipients and share their story.
• Assist in writing news releases, talking points and social media content.
• Create materials to support blood drives in honor of or in memory of blood recipients
• Participate in planning and facilitating special events and media supported blood drives
• Assist in monitoring and maintaining an active and engaged presence on social media.
• Assist the External Communications Manager with special projects.
• Coursework or direct experience in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, non-profit and/or related fields.
• Professional written and verbal communication skills.
• Attention to detail with accurate typing and well organized.
• Self motivated, ability to follow instructions and complete a project
• High level of customer service and professionalism.
• Experience with various social media formats.
• Skilled in Microsoft Office and computer literate.
• Desire to gain experience with non-profit organization(s)
• Orientation to American Red Cross
• Department training
• Spokesperson training
American Red Cross Biomedical Services External Communications Manager
Approximately 8 to 12 hours per week minimum (possibly more depending on work load and availability) for one full college quarter or semester, approximately 3-5 months, with the possibility of extending. Shift hours are mutually agreed upon, usually between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Hone communications experience and enhance a portfolio
• Meet new people/network with other professionals and media contacts
• Develop a work history and references
• Opportunity to be part of an organization that helps saves lives •